Thursday, May 28, 2009

The First Day On Internship

I am having my internship in Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
11 May 2009 was the first day I start my internship. My supervisor is Dr Alexander Chong. He is a excellent and nice lecturer. Dr Alexander is specific on Zebrafish developmental stage and expression of particular genes. Very interesting !!
On that day, he asked me to meet him 11am at bio-school, USM.

That morning, i reach bio-school before the appointment time - around 11.00am. Since it was still early, i have a chance to take a walk to look around the surrounding and try to look for my supervisor room and lab. USM is not as big as i imagine. But if compare to UNIMAS, USM have more specification field than UNIMAS. I found parasitology lab, genomic lab, tissue culture lab, entomology lab, and etc.

Amongs those, that i found interesting is the entomology lab, inside the lab, there are research on Plasmodium sp. Mosquito. I saw the researchers, culture mosquito larvae, and adult mosquito too. I wonder how they do that. If accidentally released the adults mosquito from the containers, the whole lab will be contain with mosquito that spread malaria and all the lab member will be infected.

After i walk around, i went to visit my other coursemates working lab. Mostly, they have nothing to do since the whole morning. Their supervisor just asked them to read a lot of journal.
Around 12.30 pm, my supervisor is free, he managed to meet already. ( Haha!! He is such a busy guy, only available to meet after 1 hours from the appointment )

He brought me to his office. Wah, His office is very messy, full with aquarium. Later, he went into the lab to introduced me to 1 of the Master Student whom was also graduate from UNIMAS bResource Biotechnology too. His name is Kah Loon, my direct senior... Kah Loon now is doing research on the gene expression of Iclp 1 and Iclp2 into zebrafish whole-mount in situ hybridization. At first, he introduced me to all the member of the lab. ( Gosh!! The world is really so small, i met 2 of my secondary old friends there.)

After this, we went to lunch together with others master and Phd students. After coming back from the lunch, Kah Loon briefed me about functions and usability of instrumental in the lab. They have different kinds of freezer, gel electrophoresis, spectrophotometer, trans-illuminator, incubator, water bath, In-situ Hybridization Incubator, thermol-cycler,autocave machine, shaker, and etc.

Although the lab is completed with all basic instrumental, but there is a bit of space constrain. Too pack already, even done have enough working place, all the Master Student also done have their own personal place. Even at the Corridor there, also full with machine. Blocking the path....
That is the only things that worse than UNIMAS. Air -cond also not cool enough. Sometimes, power supply also lacking.

No comments: